Get Source; It is one of the most widely used joining methods for joining polyethylene pipes and fittings. It is made by heating the two ends of the pipes to be welded, putting them under pressure and pushing them towards each other.
Pipes with a diameter of up to 1200 mm can be welded with the butt welding method. Butt weld joining method is made in accordance with DVS 2207 standard.
What are the precautions to be applied in the buttwelding method?
• Butt welding environment must be protected from the effects of unfavorable weather conditions.
• The butt should not be below 5’C of the environment to be welded.
• The welder who will perform the Butt Welding process must be trained and able to provide good references.
• The machine to be used during Butt Welding must be certified.
•The wall thickness of the pipes to be welded should be equal. If not equal, the difference should not exceed 10%.
What are the machines and equipments used in Butt Welding method?
There are 4 machines and equipment used in the butt welding method;
- Trimming Unit: It is the component used to make the pipe butt surfaces flat and smooth. As a result of the operation with this machine, the dirt and oxide layer that adversely affects the welding process is also cleaned.
- Clamps: It is the equipment that keeps the pipes stable during butt welding. Only in pipes, different adjustments should be made for each butt weld.
- Heating Unit: It is the equipment consisting of the resistances used to heat the pipe butt faces.
- Hydraulic Unit: It is the part that provides the pressure required for shaving, heating, joining processes and moves the clamps horizontally.
What are the advantages of Butt Welding method?
It does not require special inserts for joining.
• Additional parts such as elbows, “T”s, and crosses can be easily produced with butt welding.
• Since the welding machine is also produced in our country, it is easy to obtain.
• Fittings are cheaper than other pipes.
• It can be applied easily and safely for wall thicknesses greater than 3 mm.
• It is a healthy and safe method.
• When a welding connection is made according to the technique, the strength of the weld zone obtained will be equivalent to the strength of the main pipe.
What are the external factors affecting the pipes used in drinking water?
Working conditions, temperature, pressure and fluid properties in PE100 pipes, the chemical structure of HDPE raw material, the soil structure used during pipe laying for PE100 pipes, the sheathing conditions, the chemical structure of the soil where HDPE pipes are laid, the joining and conditions applied during PE 100 pipe laying affect the lifetime of the pipes. .
When the life expectancy of PE 100 pipes is calculated, a minimum life of 50 years is valid at 20 oC flow temperature. PE 100 pipe life can also vary with the chemical bonds it will make with HDPE material.