Polyethylene Pipe and Fittings
Polyethylene Pipe (PE) is a very durable pipe material. Historically it was called MDPE or Medium Density Poly-Ethylene. Although MDPE is still used for some small diameter piping systems, HDPE (High Density Polyethylene) is the most preferred pipe type for larger diameter systems.
Polyethylene is more durable and robust than other pipe raw materials. Polyethylene pipe has a strong structure resistant to high pressure. The usage area of polyethylene, which has a very low rate of being affected by external forces, is also quite wide.
Polyethylene pipe, which is higher pressure than other pipe types, will increase its mechanical value equally as the density of the materials increases. Polyethylene, which has a high elasticity ratio, therefore provides convenience in assembly. It is not affected by any external force. Polyethylene pipes, which are resistant to chemicals, do not change the taste and smell of water.
Advantages of Polyethylene Pipe
PE 100 pipes are the most used pipe type in large projects due to its strength and durability. The preference of polyethylene pipe is related to its many advantages. Advantages of polyethylene pipes;
- They are not affected by underground movements and are sensitive to chemicals.
- It is resistant to friction and wear.
- They do not crack in case of a possible high pressure.
- They provide convenience in assembly due to their easy stretching advantage.
- It is a type of pipe with a high health guarantee since it does not carry the risk of chemical contamination to the water.
- They provide convenience in assembly.
- It is not affected by underground movements and is not broken.
- Provides significant advantages in project design since the inner surface smoothness is low.
- It is not affected by sea water and sea movements.
- Provides trouble-free service under nominal operating pressure for 100 years.
- UV-light resistant.
Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE)
The density of LDPE varies between 0.910 and 0.930 g/cm3. Due to the long branching of the polymer chain it will not have any shape and is therefore flexible, very stable and has a very low exposure to any chemicals. The highest or maximum capacity temperature is 80°C. Its melting point is 120°C.
It is mentioned as a type of plastic that is flexible and less likely to wrinkle. In addition, LDPE can be cited as one of the most sought after polymers. In addition to being economical, we can emphasize that it is also important to be used to obtain plastic products such as bottle films, suitcases, frozen food packaging, toys and many more.
General Properties of Polyethylene Raw Material
What is Polyethylene?Polyethylene is one of the most used plastics in the world. Polyethylenes have a linear structure and are additive polymers. There are many different structures, especially HDPE, LDPE, LLDPE. Polyethylene is made from the polymerization of ethylene (or ethene) monomer. The chemical formula of polyethylene is (C2H4) n.
Physical Property of Polyethylene
– Polyethylene has very high impact resistance. – The mechanical strength of polyethylene is relatively lower than other plastics. Its hardness is also relatively lower than other plastics. – Since polyethylene has high electrical resistance, it is a very good electrical current insulator. – Polyethylene has low thermal conductivity. – Polyethylene is resistant to tensile stress and abrasion. – Polyethylene has a structure that can be reshaped by heating.